Sunday, April 5, 2009

DARK IN THE PARK ON A LARK

Yeah I know the title is cheesy, but hey, what can I say? It was what actually happened. This weekend, my oldest. The fifteen year old that will be sixteen in about a week, eek!, brought me a paper. He then said, "Mom, can I go on an Easter egg hunt?" Before looking at the paper, I looked at him like he was crazy. He laughed and said "Read the paper. There is going to be prizes. I want the Xbox."

Right then, everything made sense. The local park was having a huge Easter egg hut for kids between sixth and twelfth grade. Each child or teen had to pay five dollars. I thought, what the hell. Left the young monster with a friend and headed off to the park with the oldest. The next thing I knew, I was in the midst of about 500 teenagers. 98% of them did not have a parent with them. Yep, even in the boonies, parents drop and run. Crazy. There was a D.J. and lots of loud music. It was actually fun watching the kids dance like mad. They were all waiting for it to be dark. I forgot to mention it was a nighttime egg hunt.

500 teenagers, 500 flashlights, 7,000 Easter eggs and 700 prizes. It was chaos when they let them all take off. The biggest prize was the before mentioned Xbox that my son wanted. He ended up with a bag of candy and grape flavor chap stick, which I teased him and said was meant for a girl.

I ended up being recruited to help supervise, surprise, surprise. Have you ever been at the bottom of a hill full of prize filled eggs and watched hundreds of teenagers charge down that same hill towards you? Rather intimidating. Just glad I wasn't an egg.

How was your weekend?

No comments: