Monday, March 23, 2009

Back In The Saddle Again

I must say in complete honesty, it is much better not being sick. So I am back up and running.

I know that a lot of us run through our days and they end up in such a blur. Can you even remember the little things that made you smile that day? Were there any little things? Could something as tedious as going to Wal-Mart be fun? Just some simple ordinary questions.

To answer at least one: YES! Sometimes I am so busy that I think life is passing me by at such a rate of speed that I sometimes have to actually figure out my age. Not a joke. But today. No matter how dramatic the post office was, the only one in there and still had to wait an hour, not joking. And no matter how time consuming grocery shopping can be, not to mention annoying. I was still able to enjoy my day. Now you might be asking yourself this, "How could she have a good day after being stuck in the post office for an hour and then have to go grocery shopping?"

Well I am going to answer that for you.

Along for this painful outing with me was my undaunted 6 year old. Oh, I heard mom's cringe when they read that. Yep, I had my little man with me. All in all, he was great. Had one small moment, but the rest of the time, he is the only reason I am positive tonight. While waiting on the silly machine to be fixed at the post office, we went for a walk. Nothing major. Since I live in the country and the nearest town is super tiny, wasn't far to walk. We walked to the corner store (literally a corner store), got something to drink then heading back to see if the machine was working. It wasn't. So we packed up our packages, all twenty of them, back into the trunk of the car (did I mention, little man helped carry the boxes?). And off to yet another tiny town in the boonies to see if their post office would work. Thankfully it did. We then left that town for a country drive to the closest town with a Wal-Mart.

This is the fun part. All my little guy wanted was one of those bouncy balls. I would say about the size of a soccer ball maybe. So I gave in and said yes. I couldn't be more thankful. The rest of my shopping, which by the way could have be horrible with a 6 year old running wild with a ball, but it wasn't. Instead, the ball was put under his shirt and I was treated to him walking around saying "Get in my belly!" I tell you, I tried not to laugh to hard. Some employee stocking the freezer about dropped his box of food cracking up at him. An older woman dropped her bread and a young couple asked if he was for sale. Jokingly of course. That was my highlight.

It made a painful trip to the post office totally worth it.

2 comments:

Dixiechick said...

Hey, chickie...your expeditions to town with kids sounds just about like mine...when my six and nine year old are with me, shopping is a nightmare. So, how far are you away from me? Email me sometime, donnahatke51@gmail.com, maybe we can meet up for a drink sometime/or coffee.

Megan Champion said...

I checked your blog today and was delighted to find that you have started writing again.

A former single Mom myself, I really enjoy reading about your life and have been really happy playing catchup tonight!

Hope it continues!