Sunday, January 20, 2008

Day 3.. ummm yeah..this is real


So, the day begins normal enough. As normal as it can be with two boys trapped in a car with their mother on a long journey. Let me just say, getting a five year old up at 6 am, is the best thing in the world. Nothing like a grouchy monster to brighten your day.

We hit the road. We make it to the end of the road and I notice that something is wrong with my car. Yep, you read right. I try not to panic. I mean I am only five blocks from the house. I take a deep breath and pull into the gas station. I pop the hood. Luckily, only the plug to the alternator popped out. Even luckier, it is a good thing I know how to do some basic auto mechanics. I fix my car. Use my jumper box to start it and Hallelujah we are really on the road.

The day progresses normally, a quick stop for breakfast and car games on the interstate.

UNTIL......My car starts making a funny noise about four hours down the road. In Georgia. So I do the smart thing, pull over. I do some standard things. Fill the oil, check the transmission fluid and top off the antifreeze. The car is still making the noise, but everything looks normal, so I hit the road again. About fifteen minutes down the road, in the middle of nowhere, antifreeze starts hitting the window. OOPS!!

Stranded on the side of the interstate.

That is, until a very nice elderly lady, stops and helps us. She gave us a ride into town, took me to get another alternator (since the pulley fell off of the other one) and insisted on feeding us snacks and drinks. She also insisted on finding a man to go back to the interstate with me and help me change the alternator. Even though I told her I could do it, she just kept patting my shoulder and saying "Just in case you need help, dear. Just in case."

I seriously must have on stressed out Angel looking over me. She is probably fluttering around playing Dodge the Drama ball. But, she makes sure I get out of the drama.

The car gets fixed. But I was freaking the whole time I was away from my car. I thought for sure someone would vandalize it. I had made up my mind. If one thing was touched on my car, I was turning around and going back to Florida. Since I made it to Indiana, you can be assured, the car was untouched. God forbid someone steal the piece of shit so I can buy a new one. LOL

2 comments:

DIXIECHICK said...

Oh, honey...I feel so bad for you...nothing like having a car on the fritz with kids...worst I have had is locking myself out or a flat tire....few breakdowns, but not out of town....thank god for the little old lady....that was sweet of her...hard to trust people these days....Glad you are home safe and sound, though...look forward to the rest of your story...

soccer mom in denial said...

I think that kind lady was your angel personified!