Saturday, January 12, 2008

Shockingly Enough Day 1

I say shocking, because what I did shocked even me. I took a legitimate vacation. I seriously have never had a vacation before. I am the person that goes to work sick and consistently picks up extra shifts. When I threw everything to the wind and took ten days off, I think my boss went into shock. He did ask me if I knew I was taking ten days off in a row. I just looked at him like he was crazy.

Now, what did I do for my vacation? Well, I drove 19 hours from Florida to Indiana for Christmas with my remaining family. Now that you know what I did, shall I tell you the drama I went through to get to go.


Day 1

I have a day off. I plan on using this day to pack, clean, tidy up the car and use my coupon for a free oil change.

I drive into the mechanics. Thankfully I have a very honest one. They take my car and put it on the lift. The nice man asks me what I would like for him to do to it.

"Well, besides the oil change, just make sure it can handle a drive to Indiana. Oh, and check out the tires."

I forgot to mention to the mechanic that I had a tire that wobbles. Sure enough, he found out what was causing it. I had a broken tire rod. That tire rod had managed to throw my alignment completely off, which then ruined the tires. Basically, I fix it or don't go.

I had him price out everything. Tires, tire rod, alignment, the works. $400.00.

There goes half my travel money I had saved up. I almost cried. Really I did. But I know that a broken tire rod, if not taken care of, could cause a tire to come off and possibly cause an accident. Protect my kids? or take a chance? I protected my children, but let me tell you I cussed out the car.

I don't really think the car cared what I thought of it, but damn it made me feel better.

I never managed to get packed that night. By the time I ended up leaving the mechanic, it was time to cook dinner. And those of you with children know, after dinner time just flies away.

But I promise, Day 2.....coming soon.

4 comments:

soccer mom in denial said...

Oooooo travel stories. I love them.

Sorry about the car costs. Our van is sucking cash out of us.

DIXIECHICK said...

AAwwww..poor thing..man, that sucks! You drove from the south to Indiana, we had a trip planned to drive from Indiana down South..but due to finances we had to cancel our trip..so, I can relate....ain't money a bitch! Wished I knew you were in Indiana..I would have loved to have met ya!

Vixen said...

r u still on vacation? thanks for the call honey, I was in the hospital, yech!

DIXIECHICK said...

Hey...I have some bloggy buddy bling for ya...when you get a chance...come on over and claim it!